Monday, April 2, 2007

Assignment 9 - NMED 2005

I created this poster based on the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York City. The building was desgined by Frank Loyd Wright and although both Guggenheim and Wright died before the building's completion, the result is a clear testiment of Wright's architectural genius.

"The Guggenheim Museum is an embodiment of Wright's attempts to render the inherent plasticity of organic forms in architecture. His inverted ziggurat (a stepped or winding pyramidal temple of Babylonian origin) dispensed with the conventional approach to museum design, which led visitors through a series of interconnected rooms and forced them to retrace their steps when exiting. Instead, Wright whisked people to the top of the building via elevator, proceeding downward at a leisurely pace on the gentle slope of a continuous ramp. The galleries were divided like the membranes in citrus fruit, with self-contained yet interdependent sections. The open rotunda afforded viewers the unique possibility of seeing several bays of work on different levels simultaneously. The spiral design recalled a nautilus shell, with continuous spaces flowing freely one into another."
-excerpt taken from http://www.guggenheim.org/the_building.html

I did not intend to go psychedelic with this design but the shape and design of the galleries (the inverted ziggurat) reminded me of Op art and this led me to the final product. I am quite pleased with how it turned out, I just hope it prints out accordingly.

This is the photograph that I based my design upon:

No comments: