Monday, April 16, 2007

Assignment 10-Newspaper Redesign-NMED 2005


I put this project off forever because I was weary about working with so much type again although once I got started, the flow of ideas remained constant. Since I used photos in many of my other assignments, I decided to make my front cover an illustration. The faucet is my primary graphical element because the feature article is about water scarcity. I wanted the background to be a map of Alberta but I had to alter it quite a bit in Photoshop before bringing into Illustrator because I did not want the city names to be confused with the headlines. I lowered the opacity quite a bit so the headlines stand out so I hope now it is not confusing to the eye. I chose no caps in the meliorist logo because it is a student newspaper and no caps implies creativity which a student body should be.

To keep the theme going onto the second page, I added the same faucet but made it smaller and incorporated the color palette of the front cover. Since the water workshop was called "Waves of Change", I used waves in the headline. I found the image of the glass of water on the web and photoshopped the poison symbol on there since the image is relevant to the pull-out quote. I added the quiz because I had extra room. The text on top is relevant to the front cover because I used he same font and drop shadow as I had used in the meliorist logo.

I didn't think I would but I actually really enjoyed this project. I really like working with illustrator and photoshop and am going to miss it over the summer unless I can find a pirated version.

No comments: