Monday, March 5, 2007

The Character of Type - Assmt 6 Nmed 2005



I chose the Futura font after about two hours of looking through fonts on the internet and then realizing that I could not install any at school. I wasn't too disapointed, though, because I had chosen a futuristic sans serif font on the internet aswell so I could still proceed with my original concept. I did a bit of research and found out that Futura was created in the 1920's, during the the boom of post-modern movements in Europe. Futura was used a lot in Bauhaus design so that is why I included those three colored images. The text is an excerpt taken from Marinetti's futurist manifesto. It was interesting because I had no idea that the orginal idea of futurism was so fascist and glorified war. The excerpt I chose speaks of the idolatry of the machine and the desire for an automated human, hence the hand image. Although the manifesto was originally written in Italian, I chose to translate all the text to german since Futura as a font was originally very popular in Germany. I chose to make the layout and most of the elements of the poster quite simple to fit in with this futuristic concept of simple geometric shapes and cold, impersonal, machine-related colors.

No comments: